I have seen this recipe posted over and over again on Pinterest.

Well, technically, I have seen the photo and the link to the recipe posted over and over on Pinterest but that's just semantics.

Brad, being the freak he is, bought some brussels sprouts one day, randomly, out of the blue, at the grocery store. When I asked why, he said, "Because I like them."

I know, right? Who does that?

To me, when I think of brussels sprouts, I think of this:

Brussels Sprouts, aka little green balls of death
Death Balls

Which, I'll admit, is not totally fair because I'd never had brussels sprouts before. But they look like tiny cabbages and I hate cabbages. So why would I want tiny cabbages?

A couple friends insisted that roasted brussels sprouts were actually quite good.

I scoffed.

But then I saw this posted all over Pinterest and so, being the good wife that I am, I decided to give this recipe a try.



  • 2 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced fine or pressed through a garlic press
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Move oven rack to the upper third and preheat to 425 degrees.

In a 9x13 inch baking dish, toss together Brussels sprouts, garlic, water, oil, salt and pepper and spread out in a single layer.

Bake for 40-50 minutes until caramelized to taste, tossing once about 25 minutes into cooking time. Remove from oven and toss Brussels sprouts in the pan scraping up brown bits into the sprouts.



My only revision to this recipe was that I halved the recipe. I mean, it's just me and Brad so even 1 lb of brussels sprouts was a bit much.

Before my review, I must state that I am not a veggie lover. In fact, for the most part, there are very few veggies that I can tolerate. Anything that is sweet or mild, I will eat. And as we all know, the more pungent the taste, the better the veggie is for us.

So keep in mind that this review is biased by a person who has a general dislike for veggies.

Now, getting that out of the way, I have to say this recipe was not bad. It wasn't great for this veggie non-eater but it wasn't terrible, either. My take on this was that the roasting most likely made the taste milder. This was confirmed by Brad, who is the veggie eater in this relationship.

Were I to change anything on this recipe, I would probably use garlic powder rather than minced garlic because I really couldn't even taste the garlic at all. I don't know if using fresh garlic gives it the best flavor because I'm too cheap and lazy to buy fresh garlic and mince or press it myself.

This recipe will definitely not help sprouts make their way up to the top of my favorite foods. And if I never ate sprouts again, I'd be absolutely fine with that. However, if I cook them again, I will definitely be using this recipe.

How's that for a mediocre review? I'm sure if you like brussels sprouts, you will love these. It's just veggies are not my cup of tea. So to speak.

1 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love Brussels sprouts, so I'll definitely be trying this! Thanks!

    Min

Post a Comment