New Recipe: Gooey Butter Cake

10:06 PM Saturday, August 20, 2011

So I've heard that Paula Deen is a fan of butter. I don't know that because until today, I've never made any of her recipes. But this one sounded interesting and involves a lot of butter. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Gooey Butter Cake



Cake:
  • 1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
Filling:
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 16-ounce box powdered sugar
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together.

Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.


On the length of time it takes to cook, my recommendation would be to aim for 40 unless you know for sure that your oven runs cool. I split the difference on this and cooked it for 45 and wish I'd done it for 40 because the edges were slightly over-cooked.

However, that said, this cake was... DIVINE! Seriously. All of us except my youngest, Frank, went back for seconds on this. I would have gone back for 3rds only I was a bit concerned I would get sick due to how rich this is.


This totally does not need any frosting but if you feel it needs something, I might use some powdered sugar sprinkled lightly on top.

And if you'd like a lighter version, Paula's son Bobby makes a lighter version of this recipe. Obviously I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to giving this a try to see if it's as good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment