Monday, I tried a new recipe, courtesy of Weight Watchers.

Yes, I had it Monday and yes, I'm only posting about it now. I had other things to talk about, man!

Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas


  • 2 cups Chicken breast without skin, roasted, chopped or shredded (chopped)
  • 1 tsp fresh lime juice, or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp Durkee ground cumin, or other brand
  • 1/4 tsp table salt 8 medium whole wheat tortillas, about 6-inches each
  • 1/2 cup fat-free black bean dip, spicy-variety
  • 6 Tbsp low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
  • 2 medium scallions, green parts only, diced
  • 4 sprays cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 2 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream

In a small bowl, combine chicken, lime juice, cumin and salt; toss well to combine.

Place 4 tortillas on a flat surface and spread each one with 2 tablespoons of bean dip. Top each with about 1/3 cup of chicken and then sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of cheese; divide scallions over top. Cover with remaining tortillas and gently press down on each one.

Coat a very large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Cook quesadillas in a single layer until golden brown on bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip quesadillas and press down on them with a spatula; cook until golden brown on second side, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove to a serving plate and cover to keep warm (or place in oven); repeat with remaining quesadillas.

Slice each quesadilla into 4 pieces; serve with salsa and sour cream. Yields 1 quesadilla, 2 tablespoons of salsa and 1 teaspoon of sour cream per serving.



As before, I had a couple variations on this recipe. I used 2 tsps lime juice (which I guess is technically "to taste"), Rosarita No Fat Refried Beans with Green Chile and Lime rather than the black bean dip, and I didn't have any whole wheat tortillas so used regular Mission Flour Tortillas.

One of the problems I've had with some Weight Watcher's recipes in the past is that they tend to be a bit bland and I find myself adding spices as I go to add some zest.

Which is why I added an extra teaspoon of lime juice, coz I'm just wild and crazy that way.

I totally did not have that problem with this recipe. I wouldn't call it spicy by any stretch of the imagination but I really enjoyed this recipe and I have to say that cooking the quesadilla* like this, with cooking spray on a skillet, gave that tortilla a really nice taste and texture.

Overall, I give this meal a two-thumbs up and will definitely be having this again.

I have no idea what the calories and other nutritional content of this meal is, although Weight Watchers gives it a PointsPlus value of 9, but I'm sure that if you really need to know, you can do the math on the ingredients and divide by number of servings to get your ballpark range.

*Apparently, Firefox doesn't like the word "quesadilla", as it underlines it as a spelling error. When right-clicking to see the spelling suggestion, I get "quadrille", which is a type of square dance. I'm pretty sure that quadrilles are not related to quesadillas, although I suppose you could eat quesadillas at a quadrille, which would be even more fun if you had them at a quay. "I went to a quadrille at the quay and ate quesadillas." People will think you're fancy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment