Last Saturday, Brad and I were having a "discussion" about several different things we have going on right now, particularly how Brad feels put upon by me sometimes.


Earlier that day, I had been out dejunglefying our backyard with the weed whacker. I sat down to take a break because it was a lot of hard work. Some of the weeds were 4 feet tall and had become quite thick, and the weed whacker is kinda heavy.

But it was hard to relax because the smell of dog poo in our backyard was overwhelming.

And I wasn't even directly in our backyard.

So I mention to Brad that it's been months since he's de-pooed our backyard.

Brad: I don't see why cleaning up all the poo is my job. Why don't you ever pick up the dog poo?

Me: When was the last time you cleaned out the litter box? The dog poo is your responsibility, the cat poo is mine.

Brad, making the brilliant leap to a different responsibility: Well, why do I always have to take out the garbage? You're always asking me to take out the garbage.

Me, getting a bit defensive: I don't ever ask you to take out the garbage.

Brad: But you never take out the garbage.

Me: And when was the last time you made the dinner on your own? I get home from work and I have to make dinner every night and the only time you make it is when I ask you to.

Brad, a bit sheepish: I guess that's true.

Me:

I got home from work this evening and Brad was cleaning around the house. We did the typical, "How was your day", stuff but I didn't bring up his cleaning because I didn't particularly want to draw attention to the fact that he was cleaning.

Not that I didn't want him to know I appreciated his cleaning but it's one of those things you aren't certain you should make a fuss over, you know?

And then he goes: I decided to try something new.

Me: What's that?

Brad: I decided that I would do the cleaning as long as you're doing the cooking. We'll see how long it lasts.

Me, inside my head:


Me, out loud, as calmly as possible: Works for me.

We'll see how long it lasts?

I hope it lasts forever!

0 comments:

Post a Comment