Escaping

11:03 AM Sunday, July 31, 2011

There's just something about watching planes taking off.




I work near the Salt Lake airport. It's about a 5 minute drive away.

The same freeway that takes me to work is the freeway I take to pick up or drop off my boys with their dad. Same freeway I take to get into Salt Lake.

Almost every day, I see planes coming in or taking off.

Every time I see a plane taking off, my heart goes off with it.



I wonder where the passengers are going, if they're going some place fun, exciting, exotic. If they're going to a favorite place they've been to multiple times or some place they've never been before. Whether they'll be seeing loved ones: their friends and family.

I know that not every airplane trip is for a happy reason. I also know that many people on a plane taking off from an airport are actually going home rather than going on vacation, or perhaps are going away on a business trip.

But that doesn't factor into my dreams.

After all, the planes I'm watching are taking off from Salt Lake.

My heart tells me they're going some place fun, like Disney World. Or they're going to the beach in the Bahamas. Or they're heading for a long trip to Europe. Or a cruise around the Caribbean.

My heart tells me this because that's what I want to be doing.

I long to get away from the drudgery of life, of working 40 hours a week making barely enough money to pay down my debts, buy groceries, and take the boys to a movie once a month.

I long to be on a plane, heading to a destination far away where the sun in shining, experiencing the world around me, seeing new things or enjoying favorite activities with loved ones.



It's really about escaping. I sometimes just feel bogged down by every day life. When I see a plane taking off, my heart is going with it, flying away from the cares of the world to a place where, for a short time, I can be care-free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment