Yesterday, Brad and I went out for a drive in the back roads near the little town we live in. Utah has a lot of unpopulated areas that are nice for scenic drives.

When you can find the nice scenery.

There's also a lot of boring, high desert scenery but some crazy people might find that kinda cool to look at.




ANYway, we came to this nice, woody-ish area, not really like an actual pretty forest or anything but more like lots of of scrub oak trees kinda hanging out together.

(I think scrub oak happens when the land has gotten too lazy to make anything nice but feels like it has to look like it's trying.)

We came to a place called Overlook Pass.

I think.
I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been to names and stuff.

We found a place to pull over to look over the pass but I think someone forgot to actually create the overlook coz all it overlooked was some gravel on the ground. We wandered off to one side where we thought maybe we'd find a spot to overlook scenery.


We found stuff to look over, all right, but wasn't quite what either of us had in mind.

Before our very eyes was a veritable plethora (I don't think I'm using those two words together correctly but I'm putting them together because I can) of garbage. Only, the garbage was mostly old tin, with some plastic, glass, and an old sectional thrown in for good measure.



My first thought was, "Who does this? Who goes out into the wilderness of Utah and just dumps their trash? I mean, sure, it's scrub oak in the high desert but still!"

And I was all disgusted and stuff.

But as Brad and I were looking at the garbage, I was reminded of a blog post by one of my favorite bloggers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary, where she mentions Glass Beach in California.

(Of course, her blog post is much more spiritual in nature than mine, what with her being a missionary and all that.)

As I thought about her blog post, it made me look at the garbage I was seeing a bit differently. It made me think about how Mother Nature will reclaim what is rightfully hers. Suddenly, all the garbage seemed a lot less ugly than it had previously.



Coz that's what she does. She can take the ugly, whether it's garbage or scrub oak, and somehow manage to make it beautiful.

Amazingly, even in Utah.



1 comments:

  1. <3
    Thanks I needed that.
    Robbin

    Anonymous

Post a Comment